In the year 1851, Reverend Abraham Myers, a Methodist Circuit Rider, was preaching at the corner stakes of the laid-out town of Waverly – northwest a few rods where the first court house was later built (one block north of the present court house.) This was before any homes were built in Waverly. Later he preached in private homes in and around Waverly until 1853. (Abraham Myers was the great grandfather of Evelyn Hickle.)
Circuit Rider, S. W. Ingham, Sr., (1853-1854) was assigned to the Methodist Big Woods Circuit, including Waverly. Rev. S.W. Ingham held preaching services in the R.J. Ellsworth’s home, a log cabin about two rods east of the Bremer Avenue bridge. Rev. James Burleigh (1854-1855) followed the Rev. S. W. Ingham, Sr. as the Circuit Rider of the Big Woods Circuit. In 1854 he organized a Methodist Episcopal Church Society of the Woods in Waverly.[Note: In the autumn of 1854 Rev. J. Burleigh was assigned to the pastorate and during this or the following year, the first formal organization was effected. Reuben J. Ellsworth was the class leader, and among the members were Mrs. Elizabeth M. Ellsworth, Alexander Buckmaster, Dennis Buckingham, George Kerr, Emery Buckmaster, William Sturdevant, George W. Baskins, Sr ., Bet tie Baskins and a few others whose residences were remote. William Sturdevant is the brother of LaFayette Sturdevant (great-grandfather of Keith Lovejoy.) Their father was Ira Sturdevant, one of the original founders of Waverly. Both Ira and LaFayette were members of the original congregation. This makes Keith a 5th generation of Trinity United Methodist Church and his daughter, Barb Hess, a 6th generation. ]
Worship services and preaching of the Methodist Episcopal Church Society continued in private homes and in the Court House until a church building was built in 1869. Methodist Circuit Riders holding worship services and preaching during that time were: Rev. William Gough (1855-1856), Rev. E.D. Lamb (1856-1857), Rev. C.M. Sessions (1857-1858), and Rev. A.N. Odell (1858-1860.) Rev. C.M. Sessions (1860-1861) was appointed a second time. (A note here: Just before the Civil War in the United States, the Methodist Episcopal denomination divided over the slavery issue and became two separate denominations: the Methodist Episcopal North and the Methodist Episcopal South.)
The first resident minister appointed to the Waverly church by the Iowa Methodist Conference was Rev. William Smith (1861-1862.) After which the Rev. H.S. Church (1862-1866) became pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Waverly. The deeds for the church property were filed in 1865, for lots obtained from William Harmon.
The next pastor appointed to the Waverly Methodist Church was the Rev. F.X. Miller (1866-1867). During his ministry a building committee organized and a church building was begun at West Bremer Avenue and Third Street NW. The next year, Rev. J.S. Anderson (1867-1869) followed Pastor Miller as the pastor of the church. The first service in the new church building was held in the basement of the building on January 12, 1869. The bell was placed in the belfry the next year, January 12, 1870, during Rev. E.F. Jeffries’ (1869-1870) pastorate.-
The summer of 1870, Rev. R.D. Parsons (1870-1873) was appointed pastor of the Waverly Methodist Episcopal Church. During his last months as pastor of the church, the church sanctuary, having a seating capacity of 500, was completed in 1873. The total cost of the building was $11,,000.00.
In the Fall of 1873, Rev. W. Allen (1873-1875) was assigned as the new pastor of the church. He was followed by Rev. F.M. Robertson (1875-1877.) Rev. B.C. Hammond (1877-1880) was the next pastor appointed. These three pastors not only performed their regular pastoral duties, but were also responsible to raise funds to payoff the debts on the new church building. The indebtedness was paid-up in 1879.
The Rev. J.F. Magee (1880-1883) was pastor of the Church in 1881 when it was decided to take down the steeple and a second belfry was raised; from that time the two belfries were the same size. (A note to be added here: Pastor Magee’s son, Ralph, was born just before Pastor Magee moved to Waverly. J. Ralph was baptized April 10, 1881. J. Ralph Magee later became an ordained minister in the Iowa Methodist Episcopal Conference. In 1932, J. Ralph Magee was elected to the office of Bishop. He is the only native born Methodist Bishop (to date, 1995) to serve as Bishop in the Iowa Conference (1939-1943 )
Early fall of 1883, the Iowa Conference appointed Rev. M.H. Smith (1883-1886) as the Pastor of the Waverly First Methodist Episcopal Church. During his ministry, a fund was started to build a parsonage. But it was during Rev. J.B. Alcock’s (1886-1889) ministry that the parsonage was built and paid for at the cost of $2,000 in 1887. The parsonage consisted of three stories with ten rooms. The next year, 1888, the church was completely repaired at a cost of $13,000. The old stove in the sanctuary was replaced with a furnace in 1889 as Rev. A.C. Maxwell (1889-1891) arrived as the newly appointed pastor.
The Rev. Nathaniel Pye (1891-1894) was the next appointed pastor to the Waverly church. He served the charge faithfully. About 150 persons joined the church on probation during his pastorate. Then in the fall of 1894, the Rev. Dwitt W. Clinton (1894-1898) was sent by the Iowa Conference to replace Pastor Pye. Pastor Clinton gave four years of most efficient service. A large number of persons were added to the membership of the church, and the church was brought to an unusually prosperous condition along all lines of activities. This was the longest pastorate Waverly First Methodist Episcopal Church had experienced up to that time, perhaps because of the era of good will and unprecedented harmony.
Rev. R.D. Parson (1898-1900) was returned to Waverly for a second pastorate of two years. The first electric lights were installed in the church building during his second pastorate. In the Fall of 1900, the Rev. E. V. Claypool (1900-1902) was appointed pastor. During his stay of two years, the church building again was remodeled, to the extent of about $3,500. New pews were installed. Some partitions were installed in the back of the sanctuary and another stairway was installed.
Rev. Frank Cole (1902-1906) followed Pastor Claypool as pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal Church and served the church for the next four years. His pastorate was marked with a large ingathering into the church membership, which built a splendid congregation. Rev. W.G. Crowder (1906-1909) was appointed Pastor of the church in the fall of 1906, serving the church for three years. He was noted for his splendid work of increasing and strengthening the Sunday School. Rev. F.P. Fisher (1909-1911) then became Pastor and rendered faithful service in keeping the spirit of the congregation high.
Some improvements were made in 1913, during Rev. L.D. Stubbs’ (1911-1913) pastorate. Hard wood floors were laid in various rooms of the church building. A first class bathroom was installed in the parsonage. The total cost of the project was $3,500. Henry G. Schell was on the project committee. During World War I, the Rev. E.A. Long (1914-1917) was pastor of the church. He was followed by Rev. A.W. Henke (1917-1918} for one year. The next year, Rev. F. W. Smith (1918-1919) was appointed pastor. During his ministry, the service flag was unfurled for the World War I Veterans.
In the fall of 1919, Rev. John Clinton (1919-1924) was the newly appointed pastor. In the spring of 1920, ivy was planted by the individual Sunday School classes around the church. Records indicate that in August 1920 the church membership was 265, Sunday School enrollment 278, Home Department 25, Cradle Roll 28. On April 1, 1922, a fire burnt out part of the interior of the church building. Church services were held at the Palace Theater while the church building was being repaired. The church building was rededicated on October 8, 1922. The Caroline Miller Memorial Pipe Organ Dedication Service was a few days later on October 11, 1922, with an organ recital by Lynn Osincup, Professor E.G. Heist and others. The events of 1922 brought the members of the First Methodist Episcopal Church in a closer bind with the Church.
Records either were not kept well, or were mislaid, of events and activities of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Waverly for the years of 1923 through 1938. The roaring twenties seemed for the most part to be good years for the Church. However, the depression of the 1930’s was a bit more difficult, even though membership and attendance seemed to hold quite steady. During the years 1923 through 1938, the following ministers were pastors of Waverly First Church: John Clinton (1919-1924,) C.C. Bacon (1924-1930,) Rev. J.K. Hawkins (1930-1931,) Rev. H.D. Temple (1931-1934,) Rev. L.A. Gustafson (1934–1936,) and Rev. W.O. Ecklor (1936-1940.)
When the First Methodist Episcopal Church in Waverly was organized in the Year of 1854, it was in the Upper Iowa Conference of the Methodist denomination. It was during Rev. W.O. Ecklor’s ministry in Waverly that a union took place of the Methodist denominations in the United States. The Methodist Episcopal Church North, the Methodist Church South, the Protestant Methodist Church, and the Gennan Methodist Church were united into one denomination in 1938 as the Methodist Church. Thus, the church in Waverly became the First Methodist Church of Waverly. Also during Pastor Ecklor’s ministry, the young adults of the church organized as the Pioneers in 1938.
The Iowa Methodist Conference of 1940 appointed Rev. M.J. Sunderlin (1940-1942) to the Waverly church as its pastor. At this time, news was coming from across the sea that some European countries were at war with each other. In addition, there was unrest in Japan and China. This caused much concern among the church members that the young men of the community would need to train for military service and need to fight.
The Rev. Arthur J. Kindred (1942-1945) was appointed pastor of the church. During the spring of 1943, the fellowship hall was remodeled and dedicated by the Pioneers. It has been noted that J. Ralph Magee was baptized in the Waverly church in 1881 and later became a bishop. On November 14,1943 there was a celebration at the Waverly Methodist Church commemorating the baptism of Bishop J. Ralph Magee on April 10, 1881 in the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Waverly, under the hand of presiding Elder, J.T. Crippen. The “Bishop Font” presented at the commemoration was the gift of the past ministers of the church who were living at the time. A complete record of the ministry of the church was placed in a crypt in the base of the Font. The “Bishop Font” is still being used for the Sacrament of Baptism at the Waverly Church in 2001.
During the early fall of 1945, while war was raging around the world, the Rev. Glenn W. McMichael (1945-1960) was appointed the pastor of the First Methodist Church of Waverly and remained its pastor for fifteen years. Peace was established in the world in 1947. Changes could be seen in the activities and programs of the church. In 1952, First Church became the sponsoring institution for the Boy Scout Troop 90, which was organized and led by Robert Hickle, who also organized and led Post 90 later. On December 14, the Memorial Chimes and Carillon were dedicated.
September 27 -October 4, 1953 was the Centennial observance of the church, under the guidance of Rev. Glenn W. McMichael. Guest speakers were Bishop J. Ralph Magee and Dr. Arthur Kindred. Church members presented a pageant, “The Record Speaks,” directed by Mrs. J. Haehlen, wife of the local school superintendent.
The Centennial Observance seemed to bring to the attention of the church members that it was time to do something concerning their church building, either a major repair and enlargement of the present building or build a new church building. Much study and concern was given to the matter. The hang-up seemed to be the funds.
Early in the year of 1954, Henry G. Schell, an 80-year-old member, urged the congregation to start a fund-raising for a new church building. Some gifts started to flow in. A building committee was appointed later in the year, consisting of: Vern H. Fobes, Lynn C. Osincup, James Coddington, Richard Gish, Henry G. Schell, Vern L. Schield, Dr. Robert E. Shaw, K.K. Haehlen, and Rev. Glenn W. McMichael as Ex-Official member.
The first task of the Building Committee was to select a site for the new church building. The present site at West Bremer and Third Street NW had some limits. Also where would the congregation worship while the new building was being built? Nearly forty sites were considered as a possible building site. After about a year, the site at 1400 West Bremer Avenue was chosen and accepted by the congregation. Also that year, the Building Committee selected and hired the architects of Woodburn and O’Neil of Des Moines, Iowa. It took the architects a year to work out designs of the church building acceptable to the committee and the congregation. The ground breaking and work on the new church building really did not get started until late in the year of 1956. The sanctuary of the new church building was complete enough for the congregation to move in for worship in late October 1958. Herb Dillavou was baptized in the new church building before the building was used for worship services. The building was consecrated the last Sunday in December in 1958.
Sunday, October 19, 1958 was the last church service in the First Methodist Church at 220 West Bremer Avenue. The new building at 1400 West Bremer was completed and ready to move into.
After our worship service, Rev. Glenn W. McMichael gave a short service about each of the symbols of our church that was to be moved, and the last pastoral prayer to be given in the old church. Each symbol was entrusted to a member of the congregation to be transported. As the congregation sang, “Onward Christian Soldiers,” the parade began.
Robert Jenkins and Eugene Harlan carried the U.S. flag and the Christian flag. Henry Schell and Laverne Clary were the keepers of the crosses. Julie Johannsen and Roger Swanson carried the Bibles. Mrs Frank Sturdevant and Mrs. Leurs Williams carried the Communion Service. Lay Leader, James Coddington removed the Baptismal Font. Richard Cousin carried the collection plates. Elmer Sale was nex:t as Treasurer . Diana Hickle and Rick Sturdevant each carried a candlestick. Members who had brought flowers for the altar were to deliver them to the ill and “shut-ins.” Then came the choir and the minister, followed by the congregation, marching out with the hymnals. We all proceeded west on Bremer Avenue, some in cars, but many walking the few blocks carrying the symbols to the new structure that had begun to be built in 1956 and was now ready for worship.
On the following Sunday, October 23, 1958, the symbols were put in their proper places to make our new building a place of worship. (Taken from October 19, 1958 Church bulletin).
The old First Methodist Church building and the parsonage at West Bremer Avenue and Third Street NW was sold to Vriezelaar Garage for $29,500. All the buildings on the lot were demolished and removed from the lot. The lot was then sold to Fareway Stores, Inc.
It was during Pastor McMichael’s ministry that Clara Baker was hired as a part-time church secretary .Also in late 1958, a house was purchased for a parsonage in the First Home Addition.
Late summer of 1960, Rev. Melvin J. Miller (1960-1965) was appointed pastor of the Waverly Methodist Church. During that time, the parsonage in the First Home Addition was sold. Then a house was purchased in the Second Home Addition at 1731 2nd Avenue NW as the parsonage.
At an Official Board meeting, September 1964, a gift of $6,000 was announced for the construction of a bell tower. The bell from the old church building had been stored. The committee of the new church building at 1400 W. Bremer Avenue felt it not wise to place the bell in or on the church building. A bell tower committee was appointed.
After a number of meetings in consultation with the architects, Woodburn and O’Neil, who were the architects of the church building, the construction of the bell tower began in late Spring of 1965. The bell tower was dedicated on December 19, 1965, even though the final inspection was not made until late 1966.
The City of Waverly removed the barracks north of the church parking lot in 1961. The City gave the church an opportunity to purchase a portion of the land cleared to extend its parking lot to the north. The church accepted the opportunity .It is the parking space north of the electric line and poles that run through the parking lot.
Rev. J. Ellis Webb (1965-1970) was appointed pastor of the First Methodist Church during the late summer of 1965. During his ministry, Clara Baker resigned as church secretary. Jean Fredrick was employed as part-time church secretary. In addition, it was during his ministry in Waverly that the Methodist Church in the United States and the Evangelical United Brethren Church in North America united and formed a new denominational union in 1968. The new union took the name, The United Methodist Church. The First Methodist Church in Waverly became Trinity United Methodist Church; the First Evangelical United Brethren Church in Waverly became Faith United Methodist Church. Pastor Webb led the committees of Trinity Church through the structure and changes brought about by the union of the two denominations. During the Annual Conference of 1970, Rev. J. Ellis Webb was appointed District Superintendent of the Mason City District.
The Rev. David E. Streyfeller (1970-1978) became the new appointed pastor of Trinity Church. In September of 1973, the debt on the church building was paid. A Debt Retirement and Dedication Service was held. Bishop Thomas and former pastors, Donald Arthur and Glenn W. McMichael shared in the event. Kenneth I. Harlan was added to the staff as a Christian Education Assistant in 1975. Also, during Pastor Streyfeller’s ministry a building committee was appointed for an education wing to be added to the north end of the church building. The year of 1976, Steven A. Hickle of Trinity Church was ordained as an Elder, to serve in the North Carolina conference. A former Trinity member, Donna Meinhard, was ordained in the Kansas conference. Kenneth I. Harlan left Trinity to serve in another church. Ground breaking for the new education wing began in the summer of 1978, just as Pastor Streyfeller was leaving for his new appointment at Dubuque St. Luke’s Church. At the time, Trinity membership was 938 and Sunday School enrollment was 320.
The Rev. Walter B. Phelps (1978-1985) was appointed Pastor of Trinity Church following Pastor Streyffeler, just in time to accept the completion of the construction project of the education wing. The new education unit was dedicated and the mortgage burnt, March 22, 1981. About this time Education Assistant, Priscilla Bair moved and Henrietta Vanderkolk became the Education Assistant. After the dedication of the education unit, the congregation voted to pursue the selection of a new pipe organ. The Cassavant Pipe Organ arrived on September 29, 1981. Members of the congregation arrived at 8:00 a.m. and by 11:00 a.m. all 1,220 pipes had been carried into the church building. The new organ was installed during October 1981. In January 1982, a Pipe Organ Consecration Concert was played by Dr. Richard Wagner, Music Director from Hennepin Avenue UMC, Minneapolis, MN. The organ was dedicated in 1984 and Dr. Dolores Baruch of Iowa City played at the dedication service. Also in 1984, hand-bells were purchased for a three octave Bell Choir. During the same year the Bicentennial of Methodism was observed by a Homecoming and other events throughout the year. December 31, 1984 showed church membership at 1,022; Sunday School enrollment was 340 children and youth, and 84 adults. Toward the end of Pastor Phelp’s ministry at Trinity, Henrietta Vanderkolk accepted assignment at another church, and J. Elaine Gould became the Education Assistant. Also, Jean Fredrick resigned as church secretary. Mary Kruse was then hired as church secretary.
For two months, during the summer of 1981, Rev. Phelps, his wife Margaret and two of their sons, Norman and Michael went to Taylor Memorial Methodist Church in Bombay, India. The Rev. P .V. and Lela Isaac came here to Trinity as a pastoral exchange. This was under the guidance of the World Methodist Council.
The Summer of 1985, Pastor Phelps moved to his new appointment at Washington, Iowa. Rev. Duane L. Churchman (1985-1989,) pastor at Fort Madison was appointed pastor of Waverly Trinity Church. He found that over a thousand members were almost more than he could properly care for. J. Elaine Gould left for another assignment. Sue Mutchler became the Education Director in 1988. (Her Conference status is Diaconal Minister.) A church picture directory was made by Olan Mills Studio in 1989. In the latter part of Pastor Churchman’s ministry, Trinity Church became the Conference Northeast Iowa Thanksgiving Ingathering Site, the first Saturday in November each year. The wheel chair ramp, built in front of the church building about ten years earlier, was somewhat difficult for some persons who needed it. The need for an elevator was discussed a number of times during Pastor Churchman’s ministry, but the funds did not seem to be there.
Pastor Churchman was appointed to Sioux City First Church during the 1989 Annual Conference. Rev. Gary Chamberlain (1989-1991) resigned his professorship at the University of Dubuque to be appointed pastor of the Waverly Trinity Church. During the 1990 Annual Conference, Larry and Diane J ones were appointed pastors of Faith United Methodist Church of Waverly, and associate pastors of Waverly Trinity Church. (Larry gave three-fourths time to Faith Church and one-fourth time to Trinity Church.)
November 1990, Mary Kruse resigned as church secretary. Jan Brower was then hired as part-time church secretary. Early in 1990, an Elevator Committee was appointed. It was agreed that it be installed near the north ground level entrance of the church building. The installation of the elevator began in the fall of 1990 and was completed about six months later.
Much repair work was done about and around the church building during 1991; tuck–pointing, roof repair, some structural repair and insulation on the northeast corner of the church building, repair work on the south wall of Fellowship Hall, and boiler repairs. A new adding machine was purchased for the church office in the spring of 1991. January 1, 1991, the church secretary became employed full-time, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The Annual Conference of 1991 appointed Rev. Gregory S. Clapper (1991-1994) as pastor of the Waverly Trinity Church. Pastor Clapper had resigned his professorship at Westmar College. Pastor Clapper requested to buy his own house in Waverly. The parsonage was rented out later in the year. Pastors Larry and Diane Jones continued as Associate Pastors.
June 1, 1991, Jan Brower resigned as church secretary (Her husband was transferred to another town.) Jeanie Hall was hired as a full-time church secretary. Maxine Gram and Robert Hickle were certified as Lay Speakers by the 1991 Annual Conference. In addition, in 1991 an air conditioner was installed in the pastor’s study.
The Conference Cabinet, during the 1992 Annual Conference, appointed Rev. Larry Jones as pastor of the Janesville United Methodist Church. Rev. Diane B. Jones was appointed pastor of the East Janesville and Mt. Hope United Methodist Churches. Rev. Laurie L. Riley (1992-1994) was appointed associate pastor of the Waverly Trinity Church. Since Rev. Diane B. Jones lived with her husband and family in the Janesville parsonage, the East Janesville and Mt. Hope parsonage were empty , which was a great concern of the two churches. Thus, Pastor Riley was asked to live in the Denver parsonage, and the Trinity parsonage continued to be rented out.
Maxine Gram resigned as organist early in 1992. Jo Arthur became organist. In early spring of 1993, some of the older church records (baptism, marriages, deaths) were taken to the Conference Archives at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa to be sorted and protected in a fireproof room. The records at the Archives have been listed. One list is at the church office, one list is in the lock box at the State Bank of Waverly, and one list is in the historical file. If information is needed from those records, a telephone call to the Archives will usually produce the information.
During 1993, the sound system was upgraded and a new dishwasher was installed in the kitchen. Also, a duplicator was purchased for the church office. A keyboard was purchased for the music department. One bedroom was carpeted and the bathroom floor was replaced at the parsonage. The lot between the Casey store and the church’s east parking lot was purchased for a reasonable cost. Randy Satterthwaite did a good job of developing the lot with a park-like appearance.
The year of 1994 brought about some surprising changes in the pastoral staff during the summer. Pastor Riley was given a new appointment at Arlington and Volga. Rev. Allen Poore-Christensen (1994- ) was appointed half-time associate pastor at Trinity Church of Waverly, and half-time associate pastor at the Clarksville/Shell Rock churches. He lives with his wife and family in the Shell Rock parsonage. Pastor Clapper was to be reappointed to Trinity Church at the 1994 Annual Conference, but a month before Annual Conference he accepted a professorship at Huntingdon College in Alabama. A month or so later, the conference Cabinet appointed Rev. Daniel J. Herndon (1994- ) pastor of St. Timothy’s Church in Cedar Falls as pastor of Waverly Trinity Church.
The exterior of the parsonage was painted upon the arrival of Pastor Herndon, who moved into the parsonage. A new church picture directory was made in 1994. The Bell Tower and the Cross on the front of the church building were painted the summer of 1994.
Pastor Daniel J. Herndon and associate pastor Allen Poore-Christensen were reappointed to the Waverly Trinity Church during the 1995 Annual Conference. A beautiful masonry sign including the name of Trinity United Methodist Church and the symbol of the cross and flame of the United Methodist Church was placed on the lawn in front of the church building near the side walk.
Beginning in the fall of 1987, Trinity United Methodist Church of Waverly was the host church for the Iowa Conference Northeast Ingathering Site on the first Saturday of November. The Ingathering is a Conference Mission project. On that day, United Methodist Churches across Iowa bring health kits, sewing kits, school kits, blankets, used clothing, and cash to four Ingathering Sites over the state. These items are sent to the United Methodist Mission Station in Africa, to be distributed to the people in need of the Africa churches.
The 1995 Northeast Ingathering Site at Trinity Church brought together $168,940.00 of items in king and $41,035.00 in cash to be sent to the Mission churches in Africa. In 1999 the site was moved to 1st United Methodist Church, Cedar Falls, Iowa.
In early December 1995, new carpet was laid in Pinney Chapel, the Narthex, the Sanctuary isle and Chancel, at the cost of $12,310.00. In addition, some wall painting was done in the Sanctuary, Narthex, and Pinney Chapel.
In the fall of 1999, Joyce Kurtz who had been filling the position of Secretary (after Jeanie Hall resigned) and Business Manager resigned as Secretary and Linda Pruin was hired. Mrs. Kurtz maintained her role as Business Manager. In 2000 the Iowa Annual Conference assigned Pastor Dan Herndon to the United Methodist Church in Jesup, Iowa and moved Doctor Tony R. Nester from the United Methodist Church in Sheldon to Trinity United Methodist Church. The parsonage in the Second Home Addition was sold and the proceeds were used to help finance a brand new parsonage at 200 24th Street, NW in Waverly. Pastor Tony and Evelyn Nester were the first occupants of the home, which was built by Ramker Construction and was finished with a lot of volunteer help. The monetary donations for the parsonage also contributed $7,500 to the Greater Black Hawk Area Habitat for Humanity. Total cost of the Parsonage (but not counting donations of material and labor) was approximately $180,000.
At the Annual Conference 2001, Maxine Gram was recognized as a certified lay minister. She was offered and accepted a charge at the St. Paul’s United Church of Christ in rural Denver, Iowa. Also in 2001, another building committee was organized to look at options for adding air conditioning to the Sunday School rooms and Sanctuary and renovating Fellowship Hall.
In the mid 2000’s Trinity built the Wesley Foyer addition along with new offices, handicap accessible restrooms and a conference room.
In the spring of 2008 Linda Pruin resigned as church secretary and Mary Anderson was hired in her place.
On July 1, 2008 Dr Nester was appointed to Grace United Methodist Church in Sioux City, Iowa. Rev. Nancy Schultz was appointed to Trinity and served the church until March 1, 2010. Rev. Darline Balm-Demmel served as interim pastor until June 1, 2010.
Rev. Deborah Coble was appointed to Trinity on June 1, 2010. Thanks to the generous donations of members and friends of Trinity United Methodist Church the mortgage on the Wesley Foyer addition was paid in full at the end of 2010. Resident Bishop Julius Trimble visited Trinity in March, 2011 for the mortgage burning celebration.
Trinity is proud of its history and yet knows that our call as a Church is to look forward so that we may live into our call to be a vibrant and vital part of the community, Northeast District and Iowa Annual Conference for years to come.